making breakfast work with a toddler

Ever since my last post about Remi's picky eating habits, I have been putting a lot of effort into her meals just to ensure they are a little healthier and a little more put together. I have been noticing a big change in what she likes to eat and she's not as selective! I'm zeroing in today on our top 5 [Remi-approved] toddler breakfast ideas because even I personally don't have much of an appetite in the mornings so it can be a struggle but it's important!! Here's how we make it work.


1. Eggs w/ cheese + veggies • Remi is a hesitant texture person but eggs are her favorite. Scrambled, hard-boiled, fried, over-easy, mini quiches, omelettes --- it's all good to her! I add a little cheese because for some reason cheese screams, "EAT ME!" to this lady. I add veggies to my plate which Remi will pick at but usually end up wasting, so we share.

2. Fruit + french toast/eggos • For some reason I used to feel like a failure letting Remi eat eggos. I know - kind of silly right?! I never had them growing up and always considered them a treat but they really aren't the worst things in the world! When I don't have much time to fire up some french toast, I throw some eggos in the toaster, pile a mini mountain of fruit on top and Remi is the happiest. She's a huge fan of fruit so we eat it with almost every meal!

3. Honey Nut Cheerios • I know you health nuts are probably cringing a bit here because this is super sugary but I throw this in because kids like cereal yo! It's just how it is. I offer my yogurt and granola to Remi with no success but I offer some cereal and she will eat the entire bowl! It also helps with spoon development, which I don't enforce enough. It's easy to grab fruit and toast with your fingers, but a bowl of messy milk forces a utensil so I am all about it! Add some fruit and you're good to go.

4. Toast • I know I mentioned toast above, but we have some fun toast variations I try when I have a little extra energy in the mornings and want to make it more fun. It's so quick & easy and I love the variety of ways you can serve it! Remi's favorite is bear toast (peanut butter, a smidge of honey, bananas, and blueberries), and my fav is avacado toast (buttered toast, mashed avacado, sliced tomato). I cut the toast into long pieces so they're easier to eat. We are big fans of toast over here. Simple butter, honey, homemade jam or crunchy PB are always a hit too. Toast is my jam. (see what i just did there?)

5. Muffins • you can't go wrong with muffins. This is Remi's request daily. I used to think she confused them with cupcakes but when we hit up little coffee shops, she loses her mind and loves muffins! The more mini the better. See our favorite banana recipe here.

Egg McMuffins are another favorite around here. These require a little more prep so we usually have these on the weekends. (why is breakfast so fun on the weekends?!) Toast and butter your english muffin, add a fried egg, slice of cheddar cheese and meat option. Our top choice is bacon. 
To put it together: english muffin half, bacon, egg and slice of cheese, english muffin half. 


----------------------------------------------

So there you have it, some of our favorite breakfast ideas that work for our selective toddler. As you will note, I eat most of these options with her! It helps to eat what your kids eat, no matter how picky they are. I feel like food is a constant battle with children and it's all about what works best for you. I label Remi as "picky" but really she just prefers selection. Who doesn't?! I'm constantly trying new recipes so if you have some breakfast favorites of your own, share the love and let me know below!

Comments

  1. Wish I lived next door to you so I could send Sienna over in the morning. She would be all over that bear toast! You're such a cute mama. Remi is Lucky!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

follow on ig.